|home > cemetery
index > Smith - Seate Cemetery
This page last updated on July 11, 2006
|Smith - Seate Cemetery|
|Location: 11540 Virgilina Road
Directions: From Roxboro, take Virgilina Road (49N) for 11 miles
Access: On private property. In woods behind field
Survey: June 9 2006 by Amy Ralston
GPS: 36 30 42.6 N 078 49 18.9 W
Note: Special thanks to Mrs. C. Morris for helping locate this cemetery and for the other information she provided.
1. Cornelius D / son of / WR & M H SEATE / Oct 8 1884 / June 13 1907 / Our lovely one /
Rest in peace (double stone)
2. W R SEATE / Born 1848 / Died 1931 /
3. Mary H SEATE Born 1857 / Died 1932 / (according to Mrs Morris this is William Robert SEATE and his wife Mary Harper SMITH SEATE. According to Person County Historical Society survey from 1970s, Marys parents were Charles Smith & Carrie Holloway Smith)
4. (native stone) Ambrose JONES was / Born Septe / mber 26, 1769 / Deceased 5 Ma 1806.
5. (broken slate) ?ie JONES / ?GE 25 Dece. / ?une 1, 1821 (or 1826) (This is probably Willie JONES - Died 1821 - son of Ambrose and Lucy Jones)
6. Mother / (name and dates unreadable) / She was loved by all who knew her / (this may be Lucy Jones, wife of Ambrose Jones - born about 1775 - died 1854)
There are at least 50 graves marked by field stones. Mrs Morris stated that slaves are buried in these graves.