|home > cemetery
index > Griffin Jones Family Cemetery
This page last updated on 26 December 2004
|Griffin Jones Family Cemetery|
|Location: Old Nanny Day home place on Surl/Mt Tirzah
Road (SR 1717)
Directions: From Roxboro, take 158E (Old Oxford Road) 7 miles to right on Surl/Mt Tirzah Road. Go exactly 2.5 miles. Cemetery is on right 1000 ft down farm path past house and farm buildings in small grove in logged over area. Area is covered in periwinkle but it may die since surrounding woods are gone.
Access: In 2004 the path to cemetery is open but property seems to be abandoned since it was logged. The cemetery is not deeded separately and it's future accessibility is uncertain
Survey: Nov 2004 by Ken Dalton and Becky Farlow
GPS: 36 18 43.7 N 078 53 54.8 W
This cemetery is included in the WPA cemetery survey in 1938 (cemetery # 107). That survey lists the same five graves as listed below.
Additional information about Griffin Jones and Cassie Day Jones and their family can be found The Heritage of Person County, Volume 3, Article 138. It was the family information contained in this article that led to the rediscovery and survey of this cemetery. There are 5 marked graves and a number of others marked by fieldstones and depressions.
1. Griffin JONES / Born / Jan 8, 1798 / Died / Nov 5, 1863 / A sinner saved by grace /
2. Cassie / wife of / Griffin JONES / Born / Jun 15, 1793 / Died / Jun 8, 1873 / Dearest mother thou hast left us / And thy loss we deeply feel / But tis God who hath bereft us / He can all our sorrows heal /
3. Bettie JONES / Died / Dec 8, 1889 / Aged 50 Yrs (broken stone) / Although I walk through the / valley of the shadow of death / I will fear no evil for Thou art / with me. Thy rod and Thy staff, / they comfort me. /
4. John W(esley) JONES / Died at Camp Homes, NC / In the confederate army 35 REG / Dec 29, 1862 / Aged 33 Yrs / A brave spirit lies buried / here who died / a glorious death in his country's cause / (fs) JWJ /
5. unreadable name, child's stone / Asleep in Jesus / (The WPA survey provides the following information for this stone: Bettie Green Wilson, no date of birth, death 6 - 1863. Daughter of S. G. and M. J. Wilson. Age 2 mos., 24 days.)