|home > cemetery
index > Clay - Meadows Cemetery
This page last updated on August 21, 2006
|Clay - Meadows Cemetery|
|Location: Helena Moriah Road between
Bowen Rd and Deep Creek.
Directions: From Roxboro, take 501S to Timberlake. Turn right on Helena-Moriah Road (SR ). Cemetery is on right after Stony Mountain Road.
Access: Off road behind field in woods on private property
Survey: June 2006 by Ken and Becky Dalton
GPS: 36 16 24.7 N 078 52 58.0 W
Notes: This cemetery is a match with WPA # 43. (See WPA index)
1. Mary / wife of / Squire MEADOWS / Born / Jan(?) 28, 1809 / Died / (broken stone) ?? 1872(?) / Farewell my husband, dear friend / adieu. Farewell to thee. And you, my dear children all, / farewell, farewell to you / Our mother is gone and we are left / our love of her to mourn / -?- we hope to meet with her -?- before Gods throne / (fs) MM (Mary Phillpot, daughter of Thomas Phillpot and Jemima Cozart)
2. W B GLENN / Born Feb 26, 1862 / Died / Jan 17(?), 1885 / Farewell dear but not forever / Thy will have you this day / ? we shall meet to part no more / on the resurrection morn / tho thy darling ?? (rest is unreadable) / (fs) WBG (Son of William J Glenn and Adeline Meadows. Adeline is daughter of Squire and Mary Meadows.)
3. Sacred / to the memory of / Mary / wife of / Wm D COTHRAN / Born / Dec(?) 30, 1844 / Died / ?? (broken stone) / (fs) MC (Mary "Mollie" Meadows, daughter of Squire and Mary Meadows.)
This area also has 22 or more graves marked by depression and/or fieldstones.
CLAY (family stone)
4. Henry Meadows CLAY / Jan 3, 1877 / Sept 13, 1953 (Son of H T Clay and Rosa Meadows)
5. Rosa Meadows CLAY / Jan 31, 1847 / Dec 16, 1936 (Wife of H T Clay. Daughter of Squire and Mary Meadows)
6. H T (Trib) CLAY / Apr 2, 1840 / Aug 5, 1901
7. Ralph S CLAY / Feb 10, 1879 / Dec 17, 1905 (Son of HT&Rosa Clay)
8. Addie M CLAY /Dec 23, 1884 / Oct 2, 1942 (Daughter of HT&Rosa Clay)
9. (unreadable temporary marker from Brewer and Strickland)