Location: In a clump
of woods behind address 2891 Chub Lake Road, Roxboro, NC.
Directions: From Roxboro take Chub Lake Road North. Pass Stories Creek Road and
City Lake Road on the left. Take a left onto a driveway between 2755 and 2825 Chub Lake
Road. Follow the driveway and bear right past the house (2773 Chub Lake Road) that can be
seen from Chub Lake Road. An old tobacco barn will be on the right. The driveway curves to
the left and then to the right and ends in a driveway behind a house (2891 Chub Lake
Road). Straight ahead is a clump of woods West of the house where the cemetery is located.
Access: This is private property and prior permission should be obtained.
Survey: 16 July 2011 by Scarlett Munday Grace and Sam Bradsher Munday
GPS: 36 25 56.57"N 78 59 53.68"W
Notes: This cemetery is not maintained and many stones are knocked over and
covered. Please contact us if any new graves are discovered.
Grave rows are no longer clearly discernable. Many unmarked stones appear
in this graveyard and are scattered throughout. Border stones marked with JWK surrounded
- ELIZABETH MUNDAY/ WAS bORN(N is reversed)D/ FEb 13 1824/ AND DIED MAY 24/ 1886 AGE 62
YEARS/ 3 MON 11 DAYS/ Sleep mother Sleep in glory/ while we sleep on earth (written in
(Elizabeth T. Long m.1 to Thomas Jefferson Kerr, m.2 to Jesse Munday (She is Jesses
second wife), mother of John Henry Carr, daughter of Jesse Long and Kirziah Chatman. This
stone has broken from its base and is leaning against a tree.)
- (This is a double-sided headstone with one name on the front and one on the back)
(Side one) MOTHER/ MRS ANN MANN/ SEPT. 19, 1829/ AUG. 9, 1900.
(Ann H. Munday, according to family Bible this is probably Nancy Hughes Munday, m.1 to
Leroy Reagan, m.2 to William Paisley Mann, daughter of Jesse Munday and Lillia Lawson.)
(Side two) DAUGHTER/ LILLIE B REAGIN/ NOV. 24, 1861/ SEPT 8, 1895.
(Daughter of Leroy Reagan and Ann H. Munday)
- OLIVER C/ KING/ VIRGINIA/ PVT CO I/ 117 INFANTRY/ WORLD WAR I/ DECEMBER 4 1893/ AUGUST
(Oliver Cromwell King, m. to Mary Shelton King, son of John Wesley King and Mollie Bett
Carr. Mollie is daughter of Virginia Susan Munday.)
- MARY SHELTON KING/ 1901 1969/ BROOKS & WHITE (Brooks & White funeral marker,
instead of a stone.)
(Wife of Oliver Cromwell King, daughter of Mary Shelton)
- EDNer (N is backwards) eArL/ KiNG (N is backwards) WAS BerN (N is backwards)/ Mar 11,
1917 DIeD/ SePT. 15 1917/ TAT. ReST
(Stone is covered in cement and information was handwritten.)
(Edna Earl King, daughter of John Wesley King and Mollie Bett Kerr/Carr. Ednas death
certificate lists her as b. 14 Apr 1917 and d. 16 Sept 1917.)
- POSSEY GOLD (possibly COLD)/ Dau. Of/ J.H. & V.S. CARR/ Born/ Dec. 23, 1885/ Died/
Oct. 13, 1894/ Age 8y, 9m, 20d/ Sleep Possey sleep/ while we weep.
(footstone) P G (possibly C) C
(Daughter of John Henry Kerr/Carr and Virginia Susan Munday)
- EDWARD M./ Son of/ J.H. & V.S. Kerr/ DIED/ Feb. 11, 1886/ AGED/ 6 Mos. 7 Days
(Note: Edwards stone puts his birth date 4 Aug 1885 and Posseys is just a few
months later. Edwards stone was difficult to read. Researchers should be aware of
(Son of John Henry Kerr/Carr and Virginia Susan Munday)
- VIRGINIA/ Wife of/ J.H. CARR/ AUG 15, 1857/ MCH 16, 1909/ Sleep darling Sleep/ while
your loving/ husband weeps.
(Virginia Susan Munday m. John Henry Carr and is the daughter of Samuel D. Munday and Anna
- JOHN WESLEY/ Son of/ J.W. & M.B. KING/ FEB. 28, 1903/ NOV. 3, 1917/ He
- Whose love exceedes/ ours has taken home/ our child.
(Son of John Wesley King and Mollie Bett Kerr/Carr)
- MARTHA M. CARR (DAVIS had originally been engraved, but later had been marked out and
replaced with CARR.)/ Died/ AUG. 30, 1914/ AGE 62 YRS./Her life was beauty/ truth,
goodness and/ love.
(footstone) M. M. D.
(Second wife of John Henry Kerr/Carr, mother of Alonzo A. Davis.)
- CHILD/ OF/ W.H.C. (Very small headstone.)
- FRED NELSON/ son of G.W. & H.L./ CARR/ JAN 4, 1915/ SEPT 18, 1917/ Budded on/ Earth
to bloom/ in heaven.
(Son of George Washington Carr and Hattie Lou Long.)